Thursday, January 5, 2017

Day 1

Becky and I had an uneventful trip to Omaha and arrived in plenty of time to find a parking spot in the underground park under the Leid Transplant Center. It doesn't hold a lot of cars and, even though we think this will be the time we don't get a spot, our luck held and we got the last one. We took that as a good sign.

We made our way to the third floor, got my shots and were headed for the motel in good time. Dodge St. has some construction which narrows it to two lanes but only for a few blocks and we found our Sonesta ES Suites. It is a compound of 2 story suites, 8 to a building and the girl at the desk asked if I had a problem with stairs, perhaps because she saw me hobbling in.

I don't know what I did but both legs have very painful calves, I can feel the knots and I move like a very old person. I even 'weeble/wobble', that is what I call it when people bob from side to side when they walk. I told her that stairs were a struggle and she said, "No problem", she would get us on a ground floor.

We were blown away when we walked in the door! It has a full kitchen with a full size refrigerator, an eating bar with 2 stools, microwave oven and everything you would need to cook a meal - as if we will! A sitting area with TV on a large chest of drawers and a king size bed. We won't have to worry about encroching on each others private space tonight. (Kim called this evening and we told her to come down, we could sleep 3 to a bed like a pan of buritos in the oven!)

There is a large bathroom with the tub and stool in another room than the sink. Lots of closet and cupboard space, I see now whey they call them suites, it would be a great place for a long term stay.

We went out to get a pizza and then asked if there was grocery store in the Crossroads Mall right by us. No but there is a Walmart right up 72nd St., I don't know where Becky's mind was but the next thing I know she was turning into Dr. John's parking lot, an adult entertainment store. I wouldn't let her go inside, who knows what she would come back with. We finally made it to Walmart and she dropped me off at the door, I wanted a gallon of milk and the dairy was at the far end of the store, groan!

We got back to the room and I decided to try to relieve my tight legs with a hot bath, it helped but as soon as I tried to walk, it was miserable. The motel was even feeding us tonight, they do it on Tuesday - Thursday evenings, what a deal, so we went to Target right down the street and I bought some pain patches, Bio-Freeze and a heating pad. Becky asked me what I might have done and I remembered loosing my balance by the pond the other day and falling on the rocks, maybe that is when it happened?

I'm in my jammies, doctored my legs and on the heating pad, watching the Baking Show where they are making Peti-fours, crullers and Mille-Feuille. Since we are full of chicken strips, french bread, coleslaw and ice cream, our mouths are not watering. I have a feeling I won't last long tonight since I had so little sleep last night, just hope everything works and I can walk tomorrow. I get my central venus catheter implanted tomorrow and another round of shots, I may not be feeling too good tomorrow night so guess I better enjoy tonight.


  1. Melissa FriedrichsenJanuary 5, 2017 at 8:39 PM

    Good luck from all the doctors and staff at VVC! We're thinking of you and sending lots of positive prayers your way! And we will take care of any furry friend needs while you're gone, don't worry :)