Monday, September 23, 2013

Golfing and a Wedding

Bruce and I found ourselves back on the road to WI, just two months after our last trip when we celebrated a birthday and an anniversary. This time our reason for the trip was a wedding and, since we got the silage all chopped, went out a little early so the golfers could get in a few rounds.
 
We stayed at Jean and John's while Foof and Janet stayed with Rich and Shirley. This was the Fab Five, this group played 18 holes on Thursday and Friday. Bruce and Rich went early Sat and played another 18 holes before the wedding.
 
L - R, Foof, sucking in his belly and telling me to hurry up, he couldn't hold it much longer, Janet, Jean, John and Bruce.
 
 
I am not a golfer, I tried it once and decided I'd rather mow the lawn, there are several thrift stores close by so I braved the Madison traffic and went to find some bargains. My first stop was the Salvation Army store, right inside the door is a sign, 'We can't sell items without a price tag.'
 
HUH???
 
The first thing I spotted was a bowling ball bag, empty except for the ball stand inside, just what I have been wanting! EUREKA!! But in searching for the price, I discovered there was no tag, dang it!
 
There was only one clerk working so I took it to her, she searched all over and agreed with me, there was no tag. She said, "I'll have to send it to the back room." I said, "I will give you $2.00 for it." She said she would get in trouble, I looked over the other bags and there was one with a bowling ball and shoes for $4.99, but she wouldn't budge. "No, I just can't do that." I asked her if I came back the next day if it would be priced and she said it will sit in the back room for months.
 
I went on through the store, found a few things for my cart, then, on a shelf, sat a book light, I've been needing one. I tried it to see if it worked, it did, then looked for a price, none! AAUUGGHHH!!! Back to the clerk, I really wanted this book light!! She looked it all over and concurred with me, there was no price, she set it on the opposite counter. I said, "I'll give you $5.00 for it," I really wanted this book light! Regretfully she shook her head, "I'd get in trouble."
 
She rang up my purchases, minus the 10% senior discount, there are perks to getting older, started to give me a total, looked at the book light, back at me, then picked it up and said, "Would you pay $3.99 for it??" Well, if I HAVE to!! I happily handed over my money, was just gathering my loot when she looked at the bowling ball bag and said, "Would you want it for $1.99??" YES!! And, of course, my 10% senior discount! She was muttering, "If I send these to the back room they will just sit there, I might as well get something for them." I left there a happy camper, found a few more bargains at Savers and Goodwill before heading back to the house.
 
Friday was pretty much a repeat of Thursday, a van load of golfers took off to chase the elusive little white ball around the ground while I hit some garage sales in the area and another thrift store. By the time I got back, I was shopped out and happy to be a slug and read my book.
 
Saturday was Chanee` and Aaron's big day, the wedding was at 2 but there are always football games on. Bruce, Janet, Rich and John, all dressed in their wedding finery, catching some football before we left.
 
 
A beautiful bride and her happy husband.
 
 
Little cousins, Evie and Colby, running off some steam while waiting for the reception to begin. Colby was like one of those little windup cars that will run into a wall and just sit there running. At the door, he waited for Evie to pick him up........
 
 
....turn him around, set him down and they were off again. Back and forth, back and forth.

 
Then it was on the reception where a lot of work had been done by the bride and groom. They made these huge balls of twine and yarn and cut the bottoms off 300 wine bottles, threading a wire inside to hold a battery candle. The entire ceiling was filled with these decorations. Bruce had the bad fortune to be sitting under one of the twine balls when it gave way so we all got a chuckle out of it. He was just lucky it wasn't a wine bottle.
 
 
Then there is the family who hang spoons on their noses. Evie....
 
 
..not to be outdone, her father Curtis shows his technique, while Jack looks on and wonders how old he has to be to participate in this family tradition.
 
 
Our table, if you notice one person is watching a football game on his phone.
 
 
The bride and groom did not respond to the clinking of glasses to kiss, you had to sing a song with 'Love' in it. The Nielsen cousins met that challenge.
 
 
Linda and Ron, who is really getting into it with Dennis peeking over his shoulder.
 
 
Brian warned Chanee` that these are people who like to sing.
 
 
They even got into it and had a little dance around the head table.
 
 
Three cousins and a bride, Jean, Marilyn, Shirley and Chanee`.
 
 
 
Nothing like a wedding to bring out a little romance in a couple with no children at home.
 
 
Out on the dance floor, the father/daughter dance, always a tear jerker, to the very appropriate song by Trace Adkins 'She Just Thinks We're Fishing.'
 
 
Parents of the bride, Chip and Brian, Chip was beautiful in this stunning dress.
 
 
All too soon, us old people ran out of gas and headed back to the house. Sunday morning we got up and packed, it was time to go home. I was missing my critters and we have harvest coming on. It's fun to go visit the city family but we are country mice at heart and it was wonderful to see our fields again.
 
 
 "Green Acres is the place to be, Farm Living is the life for me, Land spreading out so far and wide, Keep Madison WI, just give me this country side!!!"
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. great job taking pix Julie!! Oh poor Brucie, a twine ball fell on him (so sorry but as our family does, I DID laugh for quite a bit about that, just picturing it ya know..) Everyone looked beautiful and happy, glad you were all able to go out there. I do so love these cousin weddings!! thanks for making it seem as though I was there, too honey........much love, CG

    ReplyDelete