Wednesday, September 25, 2013

A hen with hemorrhoids! (And just try spelling that without spell check!)

One of the little Serama hens, the last of the original group, has a problem with her bottom. It's no wonder, I watched her lay an egg one day and it was tough, she strained and strained before the egg popped out. She is an older hen and, well, things get a little droopy with age and don't go back in place like they used to.

But what to do? As usual, I turned to Mr. Google and come to find out, you can treat chickens with the same Preparation H that is in your medicine cabinet for someone who shall remain nameless in our household.

First I had to catch her and it's much easier in the dark, I blinded her with the flashlight, then scooped her up and she started shrieking which upset the rest of the chickens. I don't blame her, I'm sure it was very frightening, she probably thought the end was near.

Things were a little messy, if you get my drift, so I gave her a sitz bath in an ice cream bucket of warm water with a towel draped over it. Surprisingly chickens love a warm sitz bath, I've used it in the past when I had a hen who was egg bound. Bruce had never seen a hen in his laundry sink before so snapped a picture. The warm water relaxes them and they lay an egg averting a problem.
 


The little Serama wasn't quite as relaxed as the old girl in the sink but I got her cleaned up and dried with the towel before applying the Preparation H. Be very gentle and wear a glove.

Two days later I had to do it again but tonight I'm happy to report that all is well with her hiney, just so you know, caring for chickens isn't for sissies.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm so glad I have chickens AND I have a sister who knows how to take care of them! I'll call you, Julie, to come help with my chicken"s problems..........

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes it takes me a while to catch up on reading your blog. But you never fail to give me a good laugh with your farm stories. This is a good one!!! Now just how many people would really treat their chickens with Preparation H.

    ReplyDelete