Thursday, June 27, 2013

Bonnie and Clyde

I was at the veterinarian office one summer day in 2008, paying a bill and minding my own business when our vet, Mark, walked by with a cup of coffee in his hand. He did a double take, then said, "Do you want a couple of bottle kittens?"

 I said, "Bruce would kill me if I bring more cats home."

 "Oh, well I don't want to get you in trouble, BUT, there is a cat at our farm that had a litter of kittens and she's young and isn't taking care of them. She had 5 and there are only 2 left." At that, my heart sank, how could I NOT go get them! Mark said, "If you want them, they are in a box under the window."

On the way through town I stopped at Bomgaars, picking up a carton of kitten formula and a kitten bottle, then on to Mark's house to get the kittens. One was a tiny female, black with mittens and a white, tuxedo patch on her check, the other a little black male with a small white patch on his chest and a badly infected eye. I named them Bonnie and Clyde because they stole my heart as I cuddled the little cold babies in my lap on the way home.

 
They took to the bottle with gusto.


 
Sadie loved the babies and always wanted to smell their butt, how rude!
 


 
Bonnie was the dominant kitten, healthy and full of it....
 
 
Clyde was frail and I had to watch that Bonnie didn't pound on him.

 
Sleepy babies...
 
 
Niece Kaiza babysitting...
 

 
"Hey Clyde, we could eat on this big guy for a month!"

 
"I say, I say there, what was that?!"
 
"Uh, nothing."

 
Clyde suffered his first setback a broken leg, I think Bonnie did while practicing her wrestling moves. He had a tiny purple splint from his hip to his toes. "Just kill me now!!"

 

 
 
Makes it a little tough to eat.
 
 
Bruce and Bonnie napping, don't let that sweet innocent kitten fool you.
 
 
Clyde content to cuddle with his stuffed animal...
 
Bonnie wrestling with the camera bag.

 
Bonnie playing in a basket....

 
Bonnie lining up her pool shot.
 
 
Do you see a pattern here? To be Continued....
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Who knew you can buy kitten 'formula', besides a kitten 'bottle'....only on the farm, I guess. There's so much I don't know, being a farmer's daughter I guess I spent too much time cleaning up the house instead of actually being 'on the farm'...I am learning more things with every blog entry, Julie!! I loved the standoff picture of Sadie and little kitten, by the way.....CG

    ReplyDelete