Saturday, October 12, 2013

Remember this?

How many of you reading this asked for this Dazey donut maker back in the late 60's/70's, for Christmas and received one?

 
(I'm holding up my hand.)
 
It made really, REALLY yummy donuts! I made donuts at least three times a day until I was sick of them and then packed it away. I have no idea what happened to it when I moved out on my own.
 
When we were recently in WI, I went thrift shopping while the others played golf and I found this little gem in Sun Prairie.
 
The tag said $5.00 WORKS!
 
I still plugged it in.
 
It WORKED!
 
I took it home where it has sat on the laundry room floor.
 
I was on one of my favorite sites one day this week, Pioneer Woman and checking out Tasty Kitchen. There was a recipe for Baked Apple Cider Donuts, it just so happened that I just bought Bruce a jug of apple cider, it was a sign from God that I should make them.
 
(I look for those signs often.)
 
They were easy and very, very good.
 
 
The little Dazey Donut Factory worked perfectly!
 
I went to find Bruce to do a taste test, he approved.
 
"YUM!"
 
 
"Really good!"

 
"Oh, ho, ho, ho!!"

 
I think they were a hit.
 
Here is the recipe so you too can make some warm, tasty donuts.
 
Added by Amee Winters "Modern Southern Cook" on October 3, 2013 in Breads
Prep Time
Cook Time
Servings 15Difficulty Easy

Ingredients

  • FOR THE BATTER:
  • 1 cup Apple Cider
  • 2 cups All-purpose Flour
  • ¾ cups Sugar
  • 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
  • ¼ teaspoons Cinnamon
  • ¼ teaspoons Nutmeg
  • 1 teaspoon Salt
  • ¼ cups Milk
  • 2  Eggs, Lightly Beaten
  • 1 teaspoon Vanilla
  • 1 Tablespoon Butter, Melted
  • FOR THE COATING:
  • 1 cup Sugar
  • 1 Tablespoon Cinnamon

Preparation Instructions

1. In a small saucepan, pour 1 cup of apple cider. Over medium heat, simmer the cider until it’s reduced to 1/2 a cup. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
2. Preheat oven to 325 F. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
3. Combine the reduced cider, milk, eggs, vanilla and butter in a medium sized bowl. Slowly pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Beat until well combined and it forms a smooth batter.
4. Thoroughly grease a donut pan (recipe makes 15 standard size donuts).
5. Spoon 2 tablespoons of batter into each donut ring. (Your measurements may vary depending on your pan. You want to fill the rings until half full.)
6. Bake the donuts in the 325 F oven for 13 minutes.
7. Combine the coating ingredients (sugar and cinnamon) in a zip top bag. Set aside.
8. Remove donuts from the oven. Carefully lift donuts from the pans. While still warm, place a few donuts in the bag with the cinnamon sugar. Gently toss to coat. Repeat with the rest.
9. Enjoy while warm or allow to cool and store in an airtight container.
 


 




3 comments:

  1. really good eh? I have the new fangled donut baking pans... maybe I will try these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bruce looked like they were satisfyingly good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I do remember when you found that little item! I had never heard of or seen the device before you brought it in from your treasure hunt. (And people think I have lots of kitchen gadgetry!!)

    ReplyDelete