Tuesday, May 5, 2015

The Little Red Hen's blended family

The little red frizzle was ecstatic when her egg finally hatched, it seemed as though she had been sitting for months instead of weeks and actually she was. I had to give her kudos for tenacity. A tiny little yellow Serama made his/her debut on Saturday.


Since the new baby was so tiny, I wondered if it would be a good idea to give her the other four chicks but felt it would be worth it to try.

The new baby was stashed away under her mother's feathers when I introduced her foster chicks, the little red hen seemed a bit bewildered.

What the hey?"

"One, two, three, four......?"

The chicks took to her right away and soon the new baby came out to see what all the commotion was about.


The little red hen was very gentle with all the chicks...


....when they were near her head, she'd nibble on them.



"I didn't really bargain on this big of a family!"

I kept busy checking on the family all afternoon and by nightfall, they were all cozy in bed.


I had to make one more bed check after dark to make sure none were sleeping in the cold.

"Do you mind, we're trying to get some sleep here!"
"Uh, sorry."


1 comment: