It's hard to believe that just one year ago I was installing packages of bees into my newly built bee hives, I had such high hopes. My hopes where crushed this fall when I discovered the bees had few honey stores, they would never survive the winter on what they had. So Bruce and I brought them home, I made several recipes of fondant to try to give them winter food and covered the hives for warmth. Unfortunately I was not successful and lost both hives.
But I was not alone and if at first you don't succeed, try, try again. I found a supplier for package bees and ponied up the $$$ with a promise they would be here about May 1. This morning Bruce and I went on a road trip to SC and brought home two packages of bees. I boned up on my bee installation, donned my bee protection and gave the bees a new home. Here is the video.
The bees have a head start this year using the comb from last years bees, I also will be more diligent on their health, monitoring for the varroa mites that are causing such havoc among the beekeepers.
Wish me luck and loads of honey!