Tuesday, July 8, 2014

A Mother, maybe?

Yesterday morning the little red hen wanted to get in a cat carrier I made into a nest in the apartment, I’d blocked the entrance to it by turning it into the wall because that was where the egg eating was going on and  made them lay up in the nest boxes. I thought if she was ready to lay again, I’d open it up. Later I looked in but it’s so dark I couldn’t see so reached in and heard a “Screech!” There was Larry Jr.’s little bride, splayed out over several tiny eggs.


She is so little that she had been able to slip through the small opening between the edge of the carrier and the wall to lay her clutch of eggs.


I didn't have the heart to break up her nest although I wonder if her eggs are even fertilized. It takes 21 days to hatch, in about 10 days I can candle them to see if there are signs of development. If there isn't, I may get her a chick to raise. I moved her and the nest to the blue jay cage so no one can bother her. 


It just goes to show, where there is a will, there is a way when a mother is determined.


No comments:

Post a Comment